1. Call is answered by PCS.
2. Verify caller’s name and address.
3. Ask for full description of the complaint.
4. Input complaint into system. Calls from within City of Houston may be forwarded to 311.
5. Contact PCS dispatcher to assign investigator to complaint. If forwarded to 311, PCS does not conduct the investigation.
6. PCS investigator receives the complaint or initiates a routine inspection.
7. Investigator gathers evidence including field observations, testimonies, photos, and samples for lab analysis.
8. A Violation Notice is issued to a violator detailing investigation basics and which regulations were found to be in violation.
9. The Violation Notice will ask for a response within 10 days that includes the steps taken to eliminate the violation and prevent recurrence.
10. The Violation Notice explains the potential for an enforcement action such as civil or criminal charges which may result in penalties.
11. PCS Compliance Coordinators for air, water, solid waste will review each Violation Notice response and look at the number of violations issued to the violator and severity of violations.
12. The Compliance Coordinator will call a meeting with the violator if there are any unresolved issues or if it appears that an enforcement action may be recommended by the Coordinator.
13. The Compliance Coordinator will make a recommendation for civil or criminal enforcement to the PCS Director.
14. Upon PCS Director approval or enforcement action recommendation, a letter will be issued to the violator informing them that the violations have been referred to the County Attorney of District Attorney’s Office.
15. Copies of the Harris County Commissioners' letters are also sent to Precinct representatives and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.