Solid / Hazardous Waste


What is solid waste?

Solid waste Is any discarded material, including solid, liquid, semisolid, or contained gaseous material, resulting from industrial, municipal, commercial, agricultural operations and from community and institutional activities. It can be classified into municipal, industrial, or hazardous waste.

Municipal solid waste results from or is incidental to municipal, community, commercial, institutional, and recreational activities, including garbage (food waste), rubbish, yard waste, litter, ashes, street cleanings, dead animals, abandoned automobiles, and all other solid waste other than industrial solid waste.

Industrial solid waste is the waste produced by industrial activity which includes any material that is rendered useless during a manufacturing process such as that of factories, mills, and mining operations. Types of industrial waste include dirt and gravel, masonry and concrete, scrap metal, oil, solvents, chemicals, scrap lumber, even vegetable matter from restaurants. Industrial waste may be solid, semi-solid or liquid in form.

Hazardous solid waste is a waste with properties that make it dangerous or capable of having a harmful effect on human health or the environment.  Hazardous waste is generated from many sources, ranging from industrial manufacturing process wastes to batteries and may come in many forms, including liquids, solids gases, and sludges.

The Solid Waste Section is responsible for:

  • Investigating complaints related to solid waste. Such complaints may include illegal dumping/improper waste disposal, unpermitted waste processing facilities, nuisance odors from solid waste facilities, or improper handling of industrial or hazardous waste. Click here to report a complaint.
  • Conducting routine inspections of permitted and unpermitted facilities, including landfills, mulch facilities, recycling facilities, and transfer stations.
  • Reviewing new and existing waste related permits, registrations, and facility required reporting. 
  • Monitoring waste cleanup activities in the community such as EPA & TCEQ designated Superfund sites. 

What types of activities are regulated?

Requirements to dispose of municipal, industrial, hazardous, and other solid wastes are locally and federally mandated by the TCEQ and EPA. Some activities such as auto repair, dry cleaning, oil and gas operations, among others, may require some form of authorization or waste management program. Ensuring your facility or activities in your community are properly permitted and managed is critical.

Solid Waste Facilities

Types of municipal solid waste disposal facilities:

  • Type I Landfills can accept all types of municipal solid waste including household waste and putrescible garbage (food waste).
  • Type IV Landfills can only accept construction and demolition waste, trees, brush, and rubbish no putrescible/household waste.
  • Mulch and Composting Facilities-Recycling facilities for "Green Waste" only. Green waste is vegetative material such as trees, limbs, branches, stumps, and untreated lumber, such as pallets.

Maps, Directions and Contact Information

Click on the following links for Harris County solid waste facilities, scrap tire facilities, directions, and contact information. To find other types of recycling and solid waste disposal facilities, please see the FAQs below.

Type I and IV Landfills Map

Mulch/Composting Facilities (Green Waste) Map



EPA Superfund: Congress established the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) in 1980 after toxic waste dumps received national attention.
CERCLA is informally called Superfund. It allows EPA to clean up contaminated sites. It also forces the parties responsible for the contamination to either perform cleanups or reimburse the government for EPA-led cleanup work.
When there is no viable responsible party, Superfund gives EPA the funds and authority to clean up contaminated sites.

TCEQ Superfund: Like the EPA’s Superfund, Texas has established the State Superfund Program which gives legal authority to environmental agencies for site cleanup and cost recovery. Sites with potential public or environmental endangerment will undergo a TCEQ mandated assessment that will determine consideration for either the federal or state Superfund program. More information about Superfund in Texas can be found here.
For information and location of Harris County Superfund Sites, visit our   

Superfund Sites Map.


What is solid waste?
Solid waste is anything discarded from residential property, businesses and commercial facilities, institutional facilities, agricultural operations, and industrial plants.
What is residential waste?

Residential waste includes garbage (food waste), rubbish, yard waste, litter, and ashes.

Whom do I contact to report illegal dumping?
  • Harris County Pollution Control Services- (713) 920-2831
  • City of Houston, Bureau of Pollution Control and Prevention- (832) 393-5730
  • Harris County Environmental Enforcement Division- (713) 755-7618
  • Texas Commission on Environmental Quality- (713) 767-3500
If I have further questions concerning solid waste?
Contact the Solid Waste Section at Pollution Control Services at (713) 920-2831.