The mission of Harris County Pollution Control Services Department is to protect the citizens of Harris County from environmental impacts through firm, consistent enforcement of state and federal regulations. The ultimate goal of HCPCS is clean air, water, and proper management of waste.The activities of the Pollution Control Services Department are directed toward ensuring clean air and water for the citizens of Harris County consistent with the protection of public health, enjoyment of property and the protection of plant, animal, and marine life.
- Enforcing the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Air, Water, Solid Waste and Harris County Stormwater Rules and Regulations.
- Emergency response.
- Responding to citizen complaints regarding air, water or solid waste problems.
- Monitoring, inspecting, and investigating activities and facilities associated with air, water, stormwater, and solid and hazardous waste pollution.
- Laboratory analysis of water, soil, and solid waste samples to identify and quantify compounds that may be hazardous, a public nuisance or detrimental to the environment.
- Reviewing and commenting on TCEQ permit renewals and amendments.
- Assessing and compiling reports and evidence relating to violations of environmental laws for civil or criminal litigation.